Our Summer/Fall title is Know Your Price: Valuing Black Lives and Property in America’s Black Cities. Author Andre Perry takes readers on a tour of six Black-majority cities whose assets and strengths are undervalued. Perry uncovers policies shaped by flawed perspectives of the past and present, it offers fresh insights on the historical effects of racism and how to limit them in the future.
Participation is free and requires registration. All registered participants receive a suggested reading schedule, weekly email thought prompts, and a link to attend two virtual meetups, including a talk with the author.
Know Your Price by Dr. Andre Perry - Schedule
- Reading Kickoff, August 23 | Book club participants will receive a Book Club 101 email outlining how the book club will work, along with the suggested 8-week reading schedule.
- Meetup #1: Midbook Discussion with Dr. Andre Perry, September 15, 4 pm ET via Zoom | Author Andre Perry will share his personal story and motivations for writing the book; and engage in a discussion with members about advancing equity within the real estate and land use industries.
- Meetup #2: Discussion Group, October 6, 4 pm ET via Zoom | At the close of the reading period, members will assemble for online for guided discussions designed for sharing and reflecting on the book.
- Weekly Thought Prompts | In weekly emails, our special guest host will offer observations and questions to guide your reading. Weekly emails will align with the eight week suggested reading schedule.
- Bonus Meetup at ULI Fall Meeting, October 13, Noon CT, Chicago, IL | Attending ULI's Fall Meeting in Chicago? If so, pick up your lunch and come say "Hi." We'll informally chat about the books we’ve read, those planned for the future, and generally get know one another! Specific location TBD.